It’s that time of the year again. Everybody is working like crazy to take some time off for the holidays or simply because clients seem to think the world will end during the holidays. Christmas is around the corner, some of us have already sent our season’s greetings, others are hurrying up to do so now. Mine, by the way, are already on the way. I hope the ones shipped to the other side of the ocean arrive in time. New Year will follow right after that and, when we least expect, it will be already 2015.
As some of you may already now, our blog will take a three-week break for Christmas, New Year and my birthday (I know, I’m being repetitive, but I do love birthdays, so please let me be). Therefore, I wanted to wrap this year up before taking a break. I think it’s worth it having a look back at what we have accomplished and set goals for the fresh new year to come. It makes us recognize everything we were able to achieve (even the mistakes and the bad things, which are also valuable as life lessons), finding closure and allowing us to focus on the upcoming year determined, with a plan to follow.
So here’s my retrospective of 2014:
- I finally took the courage and changed my life to a much healthier one! Besides changing my eating habit, I started exercising. Now I certainly have a proper work/life balance and, guess what, I feel great!
- I started running and fell in love with it. After hurting my knee starting out recklessly, I learned the lesson, started practicing Pilates focused on the recovery of my knee, ran my first competition of 4 km (ran and walked). After training more and recovering, I was finally able to finish a 5-km run just running from the beginning to the finish line. Two other running competitions followed up, with better times. It may be nothing to some people, but for me it was a lot!
- I lost 10 kg! 😀
- I started the guest post series on the blog and hosted amazing people.
- I e-met awesome people on social media (especially on Twitter) and engaged more with the ones I already knew. Personally met other equally awesome people.
- My portfolio of direct clients increased.
- I started working with a translator role-model and received great feedback from her.
- I took my branding to a whole new level: created my brand (Alberoni Translations) with a new logo, remodeled my website, took some professionally-shot pics, sent my first custom-made Christmas cards and ordered my first custom-made freebies.
- I started out as a lecturer at a translation event at the same university I was once a student, which made it even more special.
My goals for 2015 are:
- Running 8 km in March and then 10 km.
- Competing in tennis.
- Starting practicing Yoga.
- Attending the IAPTI Conference in Bordeaux, France, and taking the opportunity to visit my beloved England again.
- Presenting in other translation events.
- Meeting e-colleagues in Europe in person (those who live in France/England and/or will attend the IAPTI Conference, I’m talking to you).
- Improving my branding even more.
- Buying my own apartment and moving out again.
I may have forgotten one or two achievements and goals, but that’s pretty much it. I’m really thankful for everything that happened this year. I must say it was better than expected. Thank you all for reading our posts, liking them, sharing them and commenting! This blog would be nothing without you. Now I hope 2015 is even better, not only to me, but to all of you. May you accomplish all your goals/resolutions and land lovely clients/projects!
Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year!
See you next year! 😉
Importante note: Posts will be back on January 13th.
15 thoughts on “A 2014 wrap-up/New Year resolutions”
Parabéns por todas as conquistas, Carol! Tenho certeza que todas as metas de 2015 serão atingidas! 😉 Beijo!
Muito obrigada, Gé! 🙂
Você é uma das leitoras queridíssimas às quais tenho que agradecer por sempre acompanhar as publicações e comentar. Isso significa muito para mim.
Que as suas metas também sejam todas cumpridas! Um abençoado Natal e um Ano Novo mágico!
What a fab list of achievements! I hope you’re just as successful next year 🙂 Merry Christmas, Caroline!
Thanks a lot, Marie!
You’re one of the people I’m grateful I had the chance to get in touch with this year. Thank you for the lovely engagement! 🙂
A very merry Christmas to you as well!
Wow! Those are some achievements, Caroline! You have all the reasons to be proud. Parabéns!
Obrigada, Alina! 🙂
You also have the pro photoshoot to be proud of. And your brand revamping, right? And let’s not forget you also started learning Portuguese!
I’m also really glad we were able to get to know each other better this year. You certainly are a special person.
May 2015 bring a meeting in person!
Feliz Natal e um próspero Ano Novo!
Feliz Natal e um próspero Ano Novo tambén!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Only one teeny tiny correction: “também” ends in “m”. In Portuguese, words usually end in “m”, not in “n”. 😉
Of course it should have been “também”. Thanks for the correction, Caroline. 🙂 Muito obrigada.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You are right, Caroline! We share a common ground and it’s pretty awesome! I’ve just read your post and I think our lives are running alongside each other. I’m sure you are destined to be successful, because you have a strong personality and when you set a goal you make it for sure. Look at you! Look at your 2014 to-do list. You listed only positive things. I agree with Marie, it’s a fab list of achievements. 🙂 You’ll see, a bunch of great new adventures are just around the corner! I want to see you crossing the finish-line of all those items in the 2015 to-do list. 😉 Keep going!
Happy Holidays, dear! xx
Ps. I noticed I put my name + adventure + translation in my subheading, which is exactly your blog’s name. This made me think of a thin red line connecting all of us: translators, linguists, interpreters, language maniacs, and so on. It’s like we can find a little part of our soul in other souls, isn’t it? I hope this is a sign. It would be a pleasure to engage more, let’s keep in touch! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I agree with you, Chiara! I feel we have much more in common yet to be discovered. I have a feeling we can be very good friends. 🙂
Thanks a lot for all your kind and lovely words! I really appreciate it. They sure made a tear fall from my eyes.
As to being successful, it’s unbelievable, but I was thinking exactly the same thing about you while browsing your blog. Step by step you’re paving your way…
May all your dreams come true in 2015, and I really mean dreams, because that’s what goals are when you really wish them from the bottom of your heart. 😉
A blessed Christmas and a magical New Year to you!
P.S.: I also noticed the similar blog name/subheading. Is that destiny or what?
It’s my time to shed tears…! 🙂 Thank you so much, you are very sweet. Hope to share good news with you next year. 😉 We’ll see. xx ❤
LikeLiked by 1 person
Parabéns pelos feitos de 2014 e boa sorte para os de 2015!
Muito obrigada, Ana Catarina!
Agradeço imensamente sua visita e sua mensagem carinhosa.
Que as suas metas também sejam todas alcançadas em 2015.
Boas festas! 🙂
Pingback: Carol's Adventures in Translation